These birthday cake energy bites are the perfect snack when you’re craving something sweet, but want to keep it light. Somehow the combination really gives off that birthday cake flavor and they are fabulous! They’re even a great snack for picky kids, because they taste that good. Plus they have sprinkles which kids love. I mean so do I! Hope you enjoy!
What you need to make birthday cake energy bites + substitutions:
- Quick oats– I used quick oats because it’s what I had on hand, but it really doesn’t matter. Rolled oats work just fine too since you’re going to be blending the oats down into a flour-like consistency. Steel cut oats won’t work here.
- Cashew butter- Cashew butter is definitely ideal here. There’s something about cashew butter that really lends to the birthday cake flavor. You can of course substitute with peanut, almond, or sunflower butter! The cashew butter will just taste the most like birthday cake. Cashew butter can definitely be expensive, I got this one from Trader Joe’s for a good price.
- Maple syrup– Maple syrup is my preferred sweetener but you can also use honey. The maple syrup just adds a nice rich flavor to these energy bites.
- Almond extract- I absolutely love almond extract. It really makes these taste like birthday cake and honestly I think this is what totally makes these! I know some people don’t like it though, so you can use vanilla extract, but it’s not the same in my opinion.
- Sea salt- I don’t make anything without salt. It’s what helps bring the flavor out in a recipe.
- Sprinkles- The sprinkles are 100% necessary and just so fun. I got ones from Whole Foods without food dyes because the dyes really affect T negatively so we try to limit them wherever we can!
If you love these, you may also love:
- My Go-To Peanut Butter Chocolate Energy Bites
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Date Energy Bites
- Cookie Dough Energy Bites
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Birthday Cake Energy Bites
- 1½ cups quick oats or rolled oats
- 1 cup cashew butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup sprinkles
- First things first, if you don't want to use a food processor or blender, you can skip that step. Just pour everything into a bowl, mix, roll into balls, and enjoy!
- However, if you want to give the bites that really doughy consistency, I highly suggest either blending everything in the food processor. OR blending your oats into a flour in the blender and then just pour those into the bowl with everything else.
- To start, pour your oats into a food processor and blend until a flour-like consistency.
- Add in the cashew butter, maple syrup, almond extract, and sea salt. Blend until incorporated.
- Pour the dough into a bowl and mix in the sprinkles. Roll into balls. Mine made about 20-22 balls. Enjoy!